Here was a good article I received from the Coaching Insider today with thoughts from Coach Mike Krzyzewski. Coach K is considered to be one of the best coaches in the history of sports not just basketball. Enjoy!
- I’m always reminding my players to come to every game focused. If you guys can get yourselves to a high level as individuals, I tell them, then I can take you to a higher level as a team. But if you show up a lower level, I’ll have to spend most of my time getting you up to a level you should already have been at.
- The signing of the floor was not about Maryland or any particular opponent. It’s about us. It’s about us reminding each other that this is our floor, and we don’t take it for granted. That’s the only thing.
- It’s always an honor to be ranked high, but whatever is said about you, you take it and then take a realistic look at yourself and who you are. I would look at us and say we’ve got a chance (to win it all).
- When we don’t match another team’s intensity—that doesn’t happen very often—then all of a sudden we do ‘J.J.-watching,’ where we’re watching J.J. play. We might as well get tickets and sit behind the bench. No one is doing anything out there.
- It’s not like we have not had close games. We’ve just been able to win them, and as a result, the reality sometimes doesn’t set in that you’re weak in certain areas or you’re not doing certain things well. …When you win, sometimes it overshadows a poor performance.
- We were not worthy of our jerseys, our Duke jerseys, in the first half.
- We lost, that’s the main thing that went wrong.
- The truth is that many people set rules to keep from making decisions.
- Once you win a National Championship, how do you do that again? How do you get the passion to do that again? We won it again right away, the next year. A lot of it had to do with the fact that I didn’t give myself an opportunity to enjoy the first one.
- Parents can really help, but they can also really hinder the development of their youngsters.
- That’s what I do now: I lead and I teach. If we win basketball games from doing that, then that’s great, but I lead and teach. Those are the two things I concentrate on.
- The life expectancy of a team is about eight months. Then the next year, it’s a whole new team.
- A basketball team is like the five fingers on your hand. If you can get them all together, you have a fist. That’s how I want you to play.
- Actually, the Kentucky moment was better than winning the two National Championships, because it was the epitome of what I try to get from a team in a crisis situation.
- Everybody wants to take responsibility when you win, but when you fail, all these fingers are pointing.
- I have a rule on my team: when we talk to one another, we look each other right in the eye, because I think it’s tough to lie to somebody. You give respect to somebody.
- I’m fortunate now that I coach at Duke University and we’ve won a lot. I have some kids who haven’t failed that much. But when they get to college, they’re going to fail some time. That’s a thing that I can help them the most with.
- I try to see each new season as a new challenge because I have a new team to work with, new opponents to encounter and often new ideas and theories to try.
- A common mistake among those who work in sport is spending a disproportional amount of time on “x’s and o’s” as compared to time spent learning about people.
- My love for Duke and this building and the people in it–I can’t love it more. And so to have my name on the court is great and I’ll try to continue to honor that court in the way we have.
Please let me know if you have any requests for plays, drills, defenses, etc… Also let me know if you have any articles, plays, drills, etc…That you would like me to publish for you on the site
You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Krzyzewski Returning to Coach USA Basketball – ABC News (abcnews.go.com)
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics (probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com)
- Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski to Coach US Basketball at 2016 Olympics – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball (miamiherald.com)
- Krzyzewski to return as coach of Team USA (espn.go.com)
- Ranking the 10 Most Polarizing Figures in College Basketball History (bleacherreport.com)
- Coach K announces he’ll coach Team USA in Rio (cbssports.com)
- Report: Coach K considering Team USA return (espn.go.com)
- Mike Krzyzewski to Head U.S. Again! (capitalcitytickets.net)
- 5 Most Important Traits Mike Krzyzewski Looks for in a Player (footballmentaltoughness.com)